Monday, May 12, 2008

Dropping through a hole in the space time continuum

Flying: surreal. It seems like it really should take longer than 4 hrs to completely change lives.

Weather: Cold! My body's more or less used to 90-degree heat by now, and this 45ish stuff was a surprise.

People: Evelin, Sulmi, Kristel, Angelica, & Nancy took me to the airport and saw me off. It was especially hard to say goodbye to the girls. And good to have them there.

Intersections: The desk agent at the airport saw me signing, and when I got up to the counter signed, "Are you Deaf?" I was definitely surprised. "No, I'm hearing, but you sign?" Turns out she's Elton's sister! (Elton is an 18yo Deaf man we know in Orange Walk). Then on the plane I sat next to a woman who's father is Deaf and mother's an interpreter for Sorenson.

Size: Everything really is bigger in Texas. Bigger, and just more. There is just so much of everything. It was a little overwhelming, even though I knew what to expect. But it was good to see my cousins again and to eat a hearty Italian meal:)

Communication & Disorientation: I left my cell phone in the front seat of my cousin's Hummer when he dropped me off at the airport. Grr. Then I kept forgetting where exactly I was and where exactly I was going, with so many destinations and plans swimming thru my head for the next week. I stared at the baggage claim monitor at O'Hare for a good two minutes trying to figure out why "Chicago" was not appearing under the "Arrivals" list, before I realized I was *in* Chicago and arriving *from* Dallas.

Reunion: Andy and Emily picked me up, despite a relay of communication in order to get in touch w/ them w/o the use of my cell phone. Then we went to his house, ate yummy chilli and sheet cake, played with the dogs, caught up and headed back to Goshen. I was beside myself for the last 20minutes of the ride--- Goshen really has been good to me and it's good to be back. Then we had a house meal at La Barna w/ Anika & Veloris, I bundled up in more clothes, caught up some, and started my homework:P. Feels good to be home, briefly, before finding my next one.

Off to a good start, gotta keep runnin

No comments: