Jan 22
Day 1: I’m here! This weekend in Chicago was overwhelming, amazing, wonderful, and hard. Saw lots of great people, my favorite people-- all in one place dancing the night away-- and ‘twas glorious! Then we all ran away to our respective corners of life again, and I fearfully approached the unknown. It was also very very cold. Extreme cold makes everyone a little grouchy, we found:). Then I had a relaxing evening at the home of a relative in Dallas, before catching my flight from DFW to Belize City. We flew in over the countryside and it was so gorgeous! I was literally bouncing in my seat. (And murmuring calming words to myself.) There were rivers and mangroves and egrets near the landing strip-- beautiful.
I zipped right through customs, and was met by a smiling Nancy, who was flanked by Kristel (10) and Sulmi (8). It was a fun first meeting. All three ladies are easy to like right away. After commenting on my towering backpack (filled to the brim w/ text books and other odds&ends), Kristel’s first comment to Sulmi was “Her skin’s so white!”:) Indeed. Luckily, I come prepared with 3 bottles of sunscreen.
In any case, we loaded up the van (with A/C!-- woot), and Nancy started orienting me to the countryside as we drove, teaching me new regional signs along the way. We made a stop at Nicole’s house (a member of Jesus Deaf Church), and met her new baby Rondell, who is 3 weeks old and hearing. Super cute! I got my first interpreting gig of sorts there, interpreting a few comments between Nancy and Nicole’s mom. Nancy and I chatted the rest of the way back, and I was glad to feel like I was understanding 90% of what she was signing. She also speaks English aloud when other hearing people are around, or when she wants to tell me something quickly. It makes things easier and sometimes and I don’t want to impose on her communication style, but I hope we end up mostly signing. I already learned lots of new vocabulary just in the drive from the airport, and I’d like to continue the trend.
When we rolled into Orange Walk. Nancy pointed out the school to me and I met one of the teachers, Ashanti. Then we came home and I set up my room. Mom, you’d be proud-- I was totally unpacked before dinner! The girls helped me put my clothes away, and then I put pictures up to make it feel homey. The house, and my room, and Nancy, and the girls, are all really nice. And we have two cats-- one of whom is curled up beside me as I write on my laptop. We had tostadas for dinner-- with lots of lime:D. My first experience with Belizian cuisine tells me I may fare quite well. Nancy’s aide and friend Angelica came by for dinner with her brother Miguel. They brought field corn that you eat w/ lime and chili salt. Yum.
Tomorrow is my first day at Nancy’s school, interpreting a PTA meeting and just getting to know people. Hope I’m up to the task. Prayers for patience with myself and humility much appreciated:)
New signs today:
1. ORANGE WALK (o-w)
2. BELIZE (p-o B, m-Z)
3. PUP (pol party)
4. UDP (pol party)
5. CARMELITA (company, p-o C, m=AFRICA, p-o A)
6. SULMI: S on cheek, m=CRY
7. KRISTEL: K above mouth, m=CAT
8. NANCY (Miss Marshall): =JUSTIN (yoder), hs=M
9. NICOLE: 2h, both hands sign NIECE
10. SHERWIN: S taps above eyebrow
11. SEASON (wet/dry): // VIDEOTAPE, hs=S, m=+++ Belizian alternative signs:
12. GOAT (OLD-STUPID). See goats, chicken, egrets by road
13. BUS (marked B, LIMO): Sulmi’s parents left, she got frustrated and took the bus by herself.
14. FOOD (marked F, FOOD):
15. CORN (on arm or front of face): Angelica’s parents have lots of corn at their house.
16. GUATEMALA (3 on fist, boy go wrk there): Church member went there to work.
17. LITTLE BIT (20 on nose, lil rain, lil salt): Girls need not to POUR salt, take a little bit.
18. #11-19 (11-15= p-up HUNDRED motion. 16-19= p-d shake, 20s= V-__, not L-__)
19. RICE & BEANS (p-up 20, twice): people here eat alot of rice and beans
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment